Successful Year for Student Council

Student Council

By Sydney Hauser

The Mount Vernon Student Council is taking a more visible role in serving students and the community. Representatives of the 2017-2018 council chose to primarily focus on the student body along with various small community service projects. “This year student council is much more organized and focused,”  said adviser Margo Massey. “They established goals early, put a calendar together, and followed through with what they wanted to do.”

The council organized multiple familiar and new activities for the school. These include the annual homecoming dance, an attempt at an annoying songs and sounds fundraiser, and a widely successful winter dance. “We had a Winter Formal this year and that was a huge success! There was a surprisingly large turnout and most students seemed to have a lot of fun,” said Vice President Noelle Ossenkop. “Winter Formal, or a dance like it, will probably be something Student Council will consider hosting again next year.”

Even with the student body being the council’s central focus, they also found ways to help those outside the building. The first task of the year consisted of members helping with the cookie decorating on Magical Night. As the council moves into the second semester they hope to become more involved with the community. The recent winter dance kicked off community service in the second semester with a can drive. Canned food items were collected as a form of admission and will be donated to Southeast Linn. The council also hopes to provide funds and cook a meal at Mission of Hope in the near future.

“Student council has a great group of students,” said Massey. “They are highly motivated, great planners, and great kids to work with.”