Homecoming: Student Council’s Time to Shine

Angie Williams
Mount Vernon High School Student Council

The student council met up to go over the final details for Homecoming Week on Tuesday, Sept. 26. At the meeting, the members sat with markers to make posters for the Corvettes, sizing them down and getting names on them. The parade this year starts at the First Street Building and will end at the entrance to the high school. This route is new, so Principal Steve Brand worked that through with Student Council Adviser Angie Williams.   The Student Council and teachers have to be there early before the parade starts at 6 p.m. to get everything organized. 

The Student Council handles many aspects of Homecoming Week. “Homecoming week is like the Superbowl for the student council because of all the things they have to do,” Williams said. For one, they reviewed pictures from pajama day to determine the winners, as they also do with every dress-up day. 

The Student Council is in charge of the Homecoming king and queen nominations, as well as the coronation. They held voting during lunch on block days. The coronation takes place on Thursday night right after the parade and before the Powderpuff game, which the student council also had to find referees for.

Another big event the student council puts on is the Homecoming Dance on Saturday. They decided the theme of the dance would be “Under the Stars.” The first 125 students at the dance will get the first pick of colorful, fun-shaped sunglasses. The student council determined who was available to set up and take down the dance decorations.

When talking about everything the Student Council is involved in for Homecoming Week, senior Audrey Tucker said, “This is the best week out of the whole year.”