Surfers Defeat Bikers

Story by Lauren Hauser.

The Surfers defeated the Bikers on Sept. 21 at the annual powderpuff game to advance their record to 4-0. The senior-sophomore team pulled off a 7-0 win which allowed the seniors to accomplish something no other class has, an undefeated high school career in powderpuff.

Going into their final game, the seniors had never lost a powderpuff game in their high school careers. “I was nervous going into it but I had faith in our team,” said head coach Preston Schultz.

After three scoreless quarters, the Surfers broke free with a touchdown early in the fourth. Quarterback Kyli Orr threw the football to wide receiver Sydney Hauser who ran the ball in for what would end up being the only touchdown of the game. The Surfers then successfully completed the one-point conversion, making the score 7-0. “I was feeling really pumped up and excited” said Hauser after the touchdown, “And then I was ready to play defense.”

The Bikers fought until the very end, but the Surfers came out with the win. “It feels great to be undefeated because a group of the same seniors have played and coached powderpuff every year so it has been fun to win every game together,” said senior Noelle Ossenkop.

Although their powderpuff careers at Mount Vernon High School have come to an end, the senior class has a record to be very proud of. “It wasn’t me, it was the girls who pulled off the undefeated career,” said Schultz, “I was just along for the ride.”

Photos by Paige Zaruba and Connor Myers.

Senior Sydney Hauser reaches to pull Sidney Shultz’s flag. Photo by Paige Zaruba.
The Bikers team huddles together to discuss a new play. Photo by Paige Zaruba.
Lauren Ryan blocks as runningback Sidney Shultz shuffles foreward. Photo by Paige Zaruba.
The Bikers prepare for a close game against the Surfers. Photo by Paige Zaruba.
The Senior-Sophomore Team: The Surfers. Photo by Paige Zaruba.
Freshman Sidney Shultz dives after Senior McKenzie Hartl. Photo by Connor Myers.
Fans of the Bikers’ team lead the student section in cheers. Photo by Connor Myers.
Surfers’ teammate Sydney Hauser attempts to escape the defense as she runs with the ball. Photo by Connor Myers.