Freshman Triumphs in Poetry Out Loud Finals

Freshman+Lyn+Bauer+performs+her+poem+An+Anthology+of+Rain+by+Phillis+Levin.+
JoAnn Gage
Freshman Lyn Bauer performs her poem “An Anthology of Rain” by Phillis Levin.

In an intimate gathering on Feb. 14 at 11:11 a.m., the freshman finals for Poetry Out Loud unfolded in English teacher JoAnn Gage’s classroom at Mount Vernon Community High School. Poetry Out Loud, a national poetry recitation competition, aims to encourage students to explore and appreciate the art of poetry through memorization and performance. The event showcased the eloquence and interpretative skills of young poets, featuring three standout competitors: Freshmen Gus Johnson, Chester Rood, and Lyn Bauer.

Just moments before the event commenced, a group of ten students, including the three finalists, poured into Gage’s classroom, filling the space with an apparent sense of anticipation.

As the participants took their seats and the four judges, namely instructional coach Tawnua Tenley, English teachers Ned Kelly, JoAnn Gage, and accuracy judge, librarian Jennifer Stanerson, settled in, the event kicked off with Rood taking the stage.

Rood began with a captivating recitation of “How Dark the Beginning” by Maggie Smith, setting a high standard for the subsequent performances. Johnson followed with an expressive rendition of “Apollo” by Elizabeth Alexander, showcasing a deep connection to the chosen poem.

Bauer brought the Poetry Out Loud tournament to a close with a powerful recitation of “An Anthology of Rain” by Phillis Levin.

After the last poem was recited, the judges briefly left the room to deliberate. Upon their return, Gage announced Bauer as the winner, with Rood securing the runner-up position. The room erupted with excitement as everyone celebrated Bauer’s success.

The Poetry Out Loud finals not only highlighted the literary talents of Mount Vernon’s freshman class but also underscored the dedication of the students and the supportive atmosphere cultivated by the school. The event’s success was a testament to the importance of fostering a love for literature and the arts within the academic community.

Bauer will compete at the Iowa State Poetry Out Loud Competition at the State Historical Museum in Des Moines on Sunday, March 3, for a chance to win $200 and advance to the national competition in Washington, D.C.

Freshman Poetry Out Loud finalists Lyn Bauer, Chester Rood, and Gus Johnson competed on Feb. 14. (JoAnn Gage)