Almost There Now

A recounting of the senior meeting
Matt Thede
Mount Vernon Class of 2024

On Tuesday, Feb. 13, the seniors were called to the high school auditorium in regards to their final steps as students before graduation. With just three months left till May 16, students must get their affairs and credit requirements in order before they will be allowed to graduate. 

“Most people tend to spend six to eight weeks on scholarship applications,” said Principal Steve Brand. Scholarships were a large focus of the meeting. The faculty present handed out a blue scholarship application sheet that must be filled and turned in to Lead Secretary Mary Hale by March 8th. It was stated also that any special acknowledgments for scholarships at senior award night must be submitted by April 15. 

Whether it was due to COVID in the early half of the current seniors’ high school careers, for college credit, or just personal preference, many students are currently enrolled in online classes. Any student currently enrolled in any APEX online course will have to have said course or courses finished by Friday, May 10. Failure to do so will be recorded as an F in the gradebook.

On the topic of extracurriculars, Counselor Brett Karkosh stated that all currently loaned resources for Kirkwood classes must be returned to him ASAP. Karkosh stated that he faced this issue every year so he wanted to make sure that everyone was aware. Any books or other resources that aren’t returned to him will have to be reimbursed by the borrower.

Seniors were also encouraged, if they haven’t already, to submit their senior quote, picture, and one more picture of themselves as a baby for use in the yearbook. English Teacher JoAnn Gage, who advises the yearbook, shared a Google Drive folder to the seniors containing dropboxes for pictures and a spreadsheet for quotes. All of these are due by April 1.

There are many events to come for the seniors, starting with senior awards night. On May 8, seniors are asked to come prepared and dress in business casual meaning dress clothes and button-downs. Seniors will meet in the high school band room no later than 6:40 p.m. Then the awards ceremony shall be held in the PAC at 7 p.m.

Next, the seniors get to take a class trip on Friday, May 10. Details on said event are currently scarce, and this trip is weather-dependent, but as the date approaches more things shall be set in stone.

On May 15, the whole school will have a picnic lunch, consisting usually of grilled foods like hotdogs and hamburgers. From 1:45 to 3:15 the seniors will be having graduation rehearsal, caps and gowns will also be handed out at this time. 

The seniors and junior ushers will practice the graduation ceremony, senior attendance is required for said practice and all students must stay until 3:15 dismissal that day. Any financial obligations with the school must be resolved and any school items such as books and electronics must be returned by this day as well.

Finally, on May 19, senior graduation shall be held. The high school will open at 1 p.m. Seniors were asked to dress business casual and to arrive no later than 1:30 p.m. All seniors will meet in room 124, Trista Lynner’s classroom, where they will dress up in their caps and gowns. Once it is 1:45 p.m. the seniors will line up and get ready for the ceremony at 2 p.m. which is to be held in the high school gymnasium.

Shortly after graduation, the students shall be led through Mount Vernon in a graduation parade, where at the end, families and friends may congratulate the graduates.

Route for the senior parade (Provided by MVCSD)

For some this meeting was a wakeup call to get things done, for others maybe a means to an end, but either way, it’s safe to say that time’s almost up for the seniors, and that they should be proud of what they have accomplished over the last 12 years. Where one life ends for a few, a new one begins for many others, go forth Mustangs!