Bring Back Win Period

Bring Back Win Period! (Colin Bentley)

In today’s fast-paced educational environment, schools constantly seek new and innovative ways to support student success. One thing that has gained huge traction is the 20-minute class period. The WIN period at Mount Vernon is a short targeted intervention designed to meet individual student needs in different classes. This period could enhance their overall learning experience. The WIN period gives teachers time to see each student who needs help in each class. This period encourages students to take ownership of their learning.
    By setting a fixed 20-minute period in the school day for addressing individual needs such as allowing choir students time to get their out-of-class lessons in or allowing strength and speed students to get make-up in. It also shows the importance of time management. This skill is crucial for success in academic situations. The WIN period can be extremely beneficial for students with learning disabilities. Foreign students who are transferring the English language, and those who need additional support. It helps bridge the achievement gap and assures that every student has the opportunity to succeed.
    On the other hand this short time slot leaves students feeling rushed and anxious. They may be hesitant to approach teachers with more in depth questions or seek help with challenging ideas. This then could allow students to not seek the help that they are needed.
    Teachers themselves are also unable to show good support during the Win period.The Win period could also disrupts the flow of regular classes and may negatively impact students’ concentration on other class.
    In conclusion, while the WIN period offers useful opportunities for personalized student support and skills development, its constraints warrant careful consideration. Balancing the benefits with the potential drawbacks is essential to ensure it serves as a truly effective tool in the quest for enhanced student success.