Cheer Squad Performs at Solon Spectacular

The cheerleaders perform at the Solon Spectacular Feb. 17. Photo by Punyisa Jangtrakul.
By Karissa Benter-
The Mount Vernon cheerleaders participated in the Solon Spectacular at Solon High School on Friday, Feb. 18. Schools and dance studios showed off their dance routines and cheer choreography, while some performed solos.

“Before performing the dance routine I was really nervous,” said senior Punyisa Jangtrakul, “I thought I was going to mess up because just before when we were practicing I just couldn’t get it right. But when we performed it I got it!”

Clear Creek, Solon, Mount Vernon, and Grinnell High Schools are some of the schools that performed while the Just For Kicks Dance Studio also performed with quite a few routines with different age groups.

“It was our first time performing the dance routine so I was really nervous because were in front of a lot of people,” said freshman Kirra Hayslip, “it was also my first performances ever and I messed up at the very end but I was told it looked like it was part of the routine so it was all good.”

The Mount Vernon dance team may have been nervous before their performance but they weren’t the only ones. “I was perfectly fine and ready to do our cheer choreography but when we were next all the nerves hit me,” said junior Julia Marshall.

“I was the only one from my school to perform a solo routine,” said senior Kaitlin Greif, “and I was really proud of how it turned out. I don’t think I would do it again because I was happy with how well I performed it.”

Kaitlin Greif performs a solo at the Solon Spectacular Feb. 17. Photo by Karissa Benter.

“The cheer and dance girls did really well with their performances,” said dance and cheer coach, Erica Ledger, “I was really proud of the girls and they made this season great. I hope next year many of them will go out again because they are a fun bunch to coach.”

Many of the performances were well choreographed and well performed and were really fun to watch. The youngest dancers were great to watch as they did their cute routines and showed off some sass. It is a great experience to go and see the hard work the teams put into their routines. Solon Spectacular occurs every years near the end of cheer season so if you want to go and watch teams and dance studios perform, the Solon Spectacular is a great place to go and see them.