#daywithoutwikipedia has students talking

By Haleigh Ehmsen-

Any student who is checking our website today, Jan. 18, has probably noticed there is a bit of an internet uproar. #day withoutwikipedia is trending on Twitter, Google has a logo with its name blocked out, and Wikipedia completely shut down voluntarily in protest of SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act), along with many other websites.

“I’m trying to use it right now. It’s irritating,” said junior Nate Marti referring to trying to access Wikipedia for background on a paper he was writing. He understands the reason for the shutdown and believes “our government has enough other things to worry about.”  With copyright laws already in place he believes it isn’t necessary but he can see the other side of it. “Playing devil’s advocate”, he realizes that with new and up-coming technology the government doesn’t have very many laws protecting the internet and as technology progresses there may be more laws put into place.

“Well they’ll be voting on it less than a week,” said senior Jarrett Bowen, who thinks that it’s good that Wikipedia and other websites are taking a stand.  “I don’t like that I can’t use Wikipedia today but it’s better than not being able to use it ever,” Jarrett said. Even Facebook would be effected by PIPA (PROTECT IP Act). For example, if anyone posted a link on Facebook that was pirated, Facebook would be entirely shut down.

Senior Daniel Rekemeyer said, “The law is very vague,” referring to SOPA, and unclear about entirely what would be acceptable and what would be illegal.

Legislation will be voting on both SOPA and PIPA  on Jan. 24. The purpose of these laws would be to eliminate access to”rogue websites dedicated to infringing or counterfeit goods.”