The Return of Mom Jeans

Juniors Grace Krapfl and Quinnie Rodman pose to show off their mom jeans on Feb. 22.

By Maddie Naeve

Jeans from American Eagle range in the 60 dollar range, but why would one spend that much money when comfy and stylish mom jeans are for sale for five dollars at a local thrift store? Mom jeans are straight-fit, high-waisted jeans that have been taking over Mount Vernon High School.

Mom jeans are most commonly bought at secondhand stores such as Goodwill or Salvation Army, and these stores carry brands such as Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Levi Strauss. These brand name jeans can cost up to 150 dollars, which draws people into thrift stores to buy jeans for less than 75 percent of their original value.

Mom jeans are now a vintage fashion trend, but 30 years ago they were just fashionable jeans. As the teenagers of the ‘80s grew into moms, the jeans adopted the name “mom jeans”.
“I have two pairs of mom jeans, one pair I got at a thrift store and the other pair were actually my mom’s from when she was in school,” said junior Quinnie Rodman. She thinks very highly of mom jeans because they are very stylish, comfortable, and affordable.

This generation of teenagers has a tendency to take key fashion styles from past generations. For example: scrunchies from the ‘80s, high top shoes from the ‘80s, choker necklaces from the ‘90s, and tube tops from the ‘00s.

“I really love mom jeans because I have a distinct feeling that I was born in the wrong generation, and this trend has made me feel more comfortable about our generation,” said junior Emma Walsh. Although this generation may get a bad reputation for the unoriginal style, they make buying trending outfits affordable and more comfortable.