Local High School Wrestler Caysen Curran Destroys His Competition

Jayce Pendergrass
Caysen wins his match at state.

Sophomore Caysen Curran competes with unprecedented skill and charisma showing off his amazing wrestling skills to the world. Curran has captured the attention of his friends, family, and classmates with his consistent performances that have solidified his rank as number 10 in his weight class and qualified him for the IHSAA state tournament. 

Known for his in-ring style and wrestling IQ, Curran has quickly become known for being a threat in the ring across the state, drawing large crowds to watch him steamroll through all of the competition. The young athlete on Mount Vernon’s wrestling team has not only impressed with his in-ring confidence but has also demonstrated a unique ability to outsmart his competition on a very high level. Wrestling with a broken hand, he stayed confident and kept taking win after win making his way through the state tournament. Curran said, “Wrestling with my broken hand was more of a mental challenge than it was physically, because I had to fight through the pain” while also stating that his hand mobility was restricted and he was forced to pinch his opponents making the matches much more difficult.

The journey of Curran to where he is today began 8 years ago when he first stepped into the squared circle. Since then, he has nearly mastered his craft, combining technical skills with an unmatched passion for the sport. People have witnessed Caysen evolve into a well-rounded performer, capable of delivering powerful strikes, and dramatic storytelling within the boundaries of the ring.

Curran started wrestling at a young age because his dad made him. “Starting wrestling was one of the best decisions of my life,” Curran said. Even though he wasn’t happy about it at the start, he grew to love the sport and the team-building exercises he does with his friends who also wrestle on the Mount Vernon team.

Curran continued to show off his wrestling capabilities throughout the IHSAA wrestling tournament and ending his sophomore year off with a 36-9 win-loss record. Wrestling enthusiasts eagerly anticipate Curran’s next moves, excited to witness the evolution of the talented individual who has already left an indelible mark on Mount Vernon’s reputation.

With an unparalleled combination of skill, charisma, and an undeniable connection with the audience, Curran is unquestionably a name to watch in the world of high school wrestling. As the star continues to rise, his fellow peers can expect more unforgettable moments and thrilling matches that will contribute to the legacy of this extraordinary athlete.