Mustang Volleyball Advances to Regional Finals

By  Kelsey Shady
Prior to playing in the regional semi final game, Williamsburg won five straight matches without dropping a set. For some teams this would be nerve wracking, but the Mustangs stayed composed and came out on top.  

The Mustangs won in three sets over the Williamsburg Raiders on Oct. 25. Although the Raiders scored the first point in every set, the Mustangs didn’t let them score any more than 21 points.

The sets ended up 25-21, 25-14, 21-17, with senior Katie Wycoff scoring 12 kills, and senior Wynne Vandersall not far behind her, scoring 10. Junior Bailey Sullivan had 22 assists and three kills.

There seemed to be a different energy among the Mustangs in the gym prior to the game. They were ready to show up and weren’t going to go down without a fight. “I was excited to go out there and show the community what we are capable of,” said Sullivan.

The next stop for the  Mount Vernon Mustangs is at Washington High School on Monday, Oct 31, to play against Davis County in the regional final.

Photos by Rachel Bell

Grace Pettinger, Sydney Meeker, and Wynne Vandersall anxiously watch the ball on Oct 25.
The volleyball team celebrates after scoring against Williamsburg.
Bailey Sullivan, Sydney Meeker, and Libby Ryan keep their eyes on the ball during their second postseason game.
Wynne Vandersall returns the ball over the net on Oct 25.
Kaitlyn Volesky reaches to tip the ball over the net against Williamsburg.
Katie Wycoff and Catherine Yeoman block the ball during their playoff game against Williamsburg on Oct 25.
Kaitlyn Volesky and Rory Light work to block the ball at the front of the net during the volleyball playoff game.
Sophomore Ella Brase sets the ball for senior Katie Wycoff on Oct 25.
Senior Libby Ryan serves the ball at the start of the game against Williamsburg.
Senior Libby Ryan serves the ball at the start of the game against Williamsburg. Photos by Rachel Bell.