Looking Back on the Baseball Season

Head coach Jeremy Elliott talks with players during game against Cedar Rapids Washington on May 25.

By Jessika Brokel

History was in the making this summer as the Mount Vernon Baseball team swept its way to the top.  For the first time in history, MV Baseball won the conference championship.

In order to get better before the season even started the team had batting and pitching practices regularly. Some beginning as early as February.

The baseball team, coached by Jeremy Elliott, had a winning season. The team had only six losses of their 30 conference games. The team battled for the WAMAC championship, the team beat Western Dubuque 5-2 in 7 innings, with 10 hits and only one error. “It felt good to get to win such an important game with my new found friends,” said Marquis Dew (‘16).

The team was made up of five seniors who each had a leading role in the team. Starter Marquis Dew, a starter at third base, had two hits, two quality at bat, and was walked once helping his team seal the deal in winning the game.  Also helping the Mustangs pull it together during the game was pitcher Jack Cochrane. Cochrane allowed only two runs and nine hits.

The Mount Vernon baseball team had  winning season, finishing  strong and making school history by becoming the first WAMAC champs. The team made the school and town very proud this summer. The season continued by beating Clear Creek Amana (CCA) 6-3 but losing to Solon 0-1.