Freshmen Fall to CPU

By Zach Krogmann

The Mustangs put up a good fight as they battled hard last Friday night against the Stormin Pointers from Center Point Urbana, but fell short losing 43-55. “We just didn’t play very well and we could’ve done things differently to come out on top,” said freshman Gabe Randall who scored 10 points. Mount Vernon also lost the night before at home against Maquoketa so they were on tired legs for Friday’s game. Blake Booth led the team against CPU with 15 points. “Turnovers killed us,” said Booth. “They just capitalized on our mistakes.” The Mustang’s record is now 9-10 with one game left to play, they will be headed to Clear Creek Amana this Thursday. “It would be really nice to get a win against Clear Creek to help us put these last couple losses behind us,” said Booth.

Ben Knake coached with a lot of enthusiasm and energy trying to get his team a lift. Kyle Woods, a usual starter, was sick for the game. He is a lead player of the Mustang’s team and without him they struggled to put the right lineup on the floor. CPU also played a lot of zone, being short handed really hurt them when it came to driving to the basket and getting rebounds. “We couldn’t get a rebound, they beat us on the glass bad,” said Booth, “and number 23 was a great player, we had a hard time stopping him.”

Mount Vernon has had a good year and are looking to expand on it with a win this Thursday. The Mustangs are planning on coming out with a lot of energy against Clear Creek and doing whatever it takes to get it done.