Written By Students For Students

By Maddie Naeve

Junior Oliver Crocker takes photos of the electricity class on Aug. 31 for The Mustang Moon. Photo by Maddie Naeve.

Journalistic writing, what comes to mind when reading that word? To some the New York Times or simply the Gazette in Cedar Rapids, but journalistic writing is closer to home. In Mrs. Gage’s journalism classes the students have the opportunity to publish news stories, opinion, and photos about their own community.

The student journalists are often recognized by  the Iowa High School Press Association, winning awards for their work published on The Mustang Moon website or the Centaur yearbook. In the IHSPA spring newspaper contest, Lauren McCollum won first place personality profile story about English Teacher, Matthew Browning, “English Teacher Interested in Stand-Up Comedy and Poetry”. Another story given to a member of the Mount Vernon’s team is Maggie Dale who won first place for her news story about the annoying sounds student council fundraiser called “Fundraising Fail”. These are two of eight first place awards and 32 total individual awards that members of the Mustang Moon’s journalistic writing team has received.

The Mustang Moon staff was a News Team of the Year finalist along with 15 schools from all around the state. The National School Press Association recognized The Mustang Moon along with 41 other news websites all across the nation qualified as finalists for an online pacemaker award.

Along with these staff wide awards some individual achievements stood out throughout the school year, senior Maggie Dale story about Riley Gross’ passion for giving retired horses life was published in the Cedar Rapids Gazette. Junior Paige Zaruba has also earned a 300 dollar Amazon gift card from Iowa Prep Sports because of her talent in regards to sports writing.

The publications classes consist of a tight-knit group of students ranging from sophomores in varsity sports to seniors that participate in speech or the arts. The students although have differing interests when they enter room 127, they all are working towards a common goal: To bring news to the students of Mount Vernon High School.