Archery Team Competes at State Tournament Friday

The Mount Vernon Archers qualified 55 archers to go to Des Moines on Friday, Feb. 25. to compete against more than 360 other archers from around the state. The Iowa National Archery in the Schools Program State Tournament is a part of the Iowa Deer Classic. The high school team qualified with 24 archers and 4 individuals, and the middle school will enter 27 archers, all as individuals. A middle school team did not qualify enough members because of NASP rules: An archery team must have at least 16 members and 5 must be of the opposite gender. According to Archery head coach Tom Wilkinson, the team needs more middle school girls to compete well next year. Wilkinson pointed out that more than half of the archers were beginners this year. “Confidence will come with practice and determination. If many of our archers continue to improve and show the desire to learn, we will have a strong team. Our volunteer assistant coaches helped them improve,” he said. Assistant Coaches for the team are Marcia Barnhart, RonLochner, Doug Shannon and Mike Woods.

Mount Vernon shoots three flights starting at 1p.m. at the Polk County Convention Center in Des Moines. Buses leave here for students at 8:30 a.m.

The team won their first meet Feb. 5 in Bellevue.

Photo by Levi Graver of the archery team practicing in the First Street Building Feb. 9.