2017 IHSPA Experience

By Abby Davidson

Twenty three Mount Vernon journalism students traveled to the University of Iowa Oct. 26, joining over 900 students at the Iowa High School Press Association Fall Conference. The event is attended by high school journalists where awards are presented and educational sessions are attended.

“It was really exciting to meet other journalism kids across the state, and pick up new techniques from other advisors,” said Paige Zaruba, junior.

A group of Mount Vernon Journalism wait for the start of the highly anticipated IHSPA.

Across Iowa there were 1,111 entries in 20 categories entered from 22 schools in the area. Mount Vernon won in about half the categories, and swept the personality profile category for the Class A yearbook contest. Mount Vernon took second place in Class A overall with the Dimensions yearbook. Individual awards were given for yearbook spreads, photography, and articles written, and Mount Vernon won 17 individual awards. Mount Vernon’s Mustang Moon newspaper staff also was recognized as a News Team of the Year finalist, and the Centaur won the highest honor in the yearbook whole book contest, the Neubert Award.

“It’s always cool to come back every year and see how our hard work pays off,” said junior Emma Klinkhammer. Klinkhammer returned for her third year of IHSPA and publication and design this year. Klinkhammer won an award for her photography on a featured photo in the student life section.

Students wait as the fall IHSPA conference commences on Oct. 26.