Mustangs’ Comeback Victory over West Liberty

File Photo: The Mustangs celebrate after a TD by Cale Snedden (7) against Mid-Prairie in September. The Mustangs won that game 49-0. Photo by Catherine Yeoman.

By Paige Zaruba and Ben McGuire

Never getting too high, never getting too low. Overcoming obstacles, and rolling with the punches. Playing smart, physical football, and competing every single play have been Mount Vernon’s keys to success all year long. These keys were on full display during the Mustang’s gutsy comeback victory over West Liberty Friday night, a game in which they scored 27 unanswered points to win by a score of 34-27.

The game got off to an electric start when senior wide receiver Cale Snedden ran the opening kick-off for a touchdown to put the Mustangs on the scoreboard just 15 seconds into the game. Snedden continued to have two more touchdowns on Friday night to lead the Mustangs to a victory at the West Liberty away game.

The Comets were not fazed by Mount Vernon’s quick score. West Liberty, led by Joe Kelly with 153 yards rushing in the first half, scored 27 consecutive points. They led at the half, 27-14, after Drew Adams connected with Snedden.

“Our coaching staff makes really nice halftime adjustments,” said head coach Lance Pedersen. “We came out defensively and really slowed them down. We started finding some weaknesses, and the defensive line started taking over.”

Realizing they need to make a change, the Mustangs began to click better, both offensively and defensively after the half. Midway through the third quarter, junior Paul Ryan rushed into the endzone. Ryan totalled 193 yards throughout the game. Just two minutes later, Matt Gearhart made himself open to catch a pass from Adams to tie the game up, 27-27. The Mount Vernon defense was able to hold West Liberty scoreless in the second half, which heavily contributed to the win.

Since the score was tied going into the fourth quarter, the pressure was on to score points. Snedden was able to catch a shot from Adams to take the lead in the game, 34-27. Adams passed for 177 total yards and three touchdowns.