Mount Vernon Takes Down Washington on a Rainy Night

Lily Rechkemmer
After discussing a play, junior Ethan Wood gets into place.

Mount Vernon hosted Washington High School for a rainy Friday night. The final score of the game was Mount Vernon 65, Washington 6. This was a very special game because this is Mount Vernon’s senior night. 

Mount Vernon was leading Washington 58-0 in just the first half. Mount Vernon was able to get a lot of their second string seniors in this game to get them a good amount of play time, which was a good night to have senior night because they all had plenty of participation to claim the victory over Washington. However, the weather could have been more inviting.

“The rain was freezing but also really fun,” Varsity kicker and punter Colin Crawford said. “The rain affected the size of the crowd and the energy they brought to the game, but our team was able to keep the energy high on the sidelines and the field. I’d say the rain and wet weather affected Washington more than it did for us. Our defense was good and they forced fumbles. Our offense was also able to do everything they wanted to do. “

“With all the rain it was kind of fun to just see everyone play. The rain didn’t really affect us, it made us drop a pass, but that’s it because we are used to the rain,’’ said senior Mason Pinkney.

The rain definitely had a positive impact on Mount Vernon during this game. They were prepared and ready for the rain and the little amount of crowd and used that to get ahead. Luckily they have been practicing on the field the last couple days before the game because they had a good feel for the field.