Tyson Dew’s Past to Present Baseball History

Tyson Dew

By Chase Martin

*Ting!* the sound of the metal bat connecting to the ball rings throughout the Elliot’s baseball complex as the Tyson Dew takes off for first base to find out his hard ground ball skips by the shortstop’s reach, he continues for second base and slides underneath the second baseman, safe! This is Dew’s first year ever of organized baseball, the Mount Vernon elementary tee ball league. Dew’s love for baseball has stayed with him throughout his childhood into his adulthood.

Dew, as a senior, now plays corners (first and third base) and pitches when his coaches need him to. In the summer, Dew plays on the Mount Vernon Baseball team but doesn’t have too much play time due to others playing his most talented positions. His real competition is elsewhere during spring. 

The American Legion baseball team covers all counties in Iowa even reaching out to neighboring states. When Dew first played on the American Legion team the only person he knew was his brother. Over the years his close friends on the American Legion baseball team have either left the team or graduated high school. He still chooses to play due to his love for baseball and his encouraging head coach Matt Donner.

Dubuque County is their hardest team they faced last year, his schedule has “A lot of competition and is never an easy schedule.” Dubuque recruits their players from all over the county and has been one of the hardest teams the majority of the opposing team’s play.

Dew’s favorite sport and the one he is most talented at is baseball. He played on traveling baseball teams since he was in late elementary school up to a senior in high school. He never skipped a year and never thought negatively towards baseball. His older brother, Marquis, drew his attention towards baseball and taught him from the basics to the more advanced tricks.

Dew doesn’t watch baseball. “It’s too boring to watch,” he said. He only plays it. Dew’s true talent for the game came out at a young age. His old travel team coaches put him on the team at a young age along with his few other classmates. Now, at the age of 18, he still plays organized baseball on top of being on a very competitive, traveling team.

Dew’s advice for young baseball players is to “Work at it, it’s not easy to pick up and don’t let the coaches overwork you.” Most importantly, he added, “There’s always something more to learn.”

Dew’s interest for baseball has only grew stronger over the years. He’s always stayed with it along with a positive outlook on both his wins and losses. He seems to be doing what he’s interested in and doing a good job at it.