Shuttle Hurdle Team to Compete at State

The Shuttle Hurdle Relay Team: Annie Rhomberg, Annie Leopold, Libby Ryan, and Catherine Yeoman. Photos by Zach Krogmann.
By Tristan Wirfs

A high school athlete has the opportunity to run at the famous blue oval at Drake Stadium twice a year, and neither opportunities are given. The chance to compete there has to be earned. The Mount Vernon Girls’ Shuttle Hurdle team has yet another opportunity to make the trip down to Drake stadium in Des Moines for state. The team consists of senior Libby Ryan, junior Catherine Yeoman, sophomore Annie Rhomberg and freshman Annie Leopold. All of them have had different experiences with track so this year is special. Currently the girls are ranked first in 3A and fifth overall in the state with a time of 1.04.49 and they recently placed 3rd at the Drake Relays with that time, and they lead class 3A by a whole second. The girls are returning to the Blue oval this Thursday after their first place finish at the district meet.

“It is very cool to run at the blue oval. It is unlike every track I have ever ran at with the stadium seating wrapping 300 yards around the track,” Yeoman said. She has been to the blue oval five times including the Drake Relays and the State Meet this year. She hasn’t however returned with a title from the Oval. “Achieving a state title together would mean everything to us,” she said. “It would make all the hard work that we put in over the season worth it. After three years of running shuttle hurdle at state, we would feel like we have finally accomplished it.”

There are a lot of people who believe that the Drake Relays title would be more of an accomplishment than a state title. “I like state better because things aren’t as rushed so you have more time to enjoy it all,” said Rhomberg. Enjoyment is key in success, If you’re having fun you’re doing you best. Yeoman thinks that state has more pressure than Drake “ Both are good experiences but different. Drake, you can race against the best teams in the state of Iowa not just against teams in your class. Plus you get to see college and professional runners race. At state, there are more people that attend. Having a bigger crowd adds more excitement. Plus, there is more pressure to succeed. You are competing for a state title.”
These girls have been grinding all year long and now that the week of state is among us, they will reap the benefits of their hard work and will hopefully walk away with a state title.

Annie Leopold
Libby Ryan
Catherine Yeoman
Annie Rhomberg