Six Wrestlers to Compete at State

Congratulations to our wrestlers who will be competing individually at state: Tristan Wirfs, Sam Moore, Paul Ryan, Justin Light, Ryan Clark, and Jack Streicher! Photo from @MV_Wrestling on Twitter:
Senior Tristan Wirfs was a champion at the district meet. Photo by Preston Shultz.

By Preston Shultz
The Mount Vernon Mustangs sent eight wrestlers into battle at the district tournament this past Saturday in Maquoketa, six punching their ticket to state. Among the six, Paul Ryan and Tristan Wirfs claimed District Championships.

Sophomore Paul Ryan, winning by a decision of 5 to 3 in his finals match, will be making his first appearance at Wells Fargo Arena, along with junior Jack Streicher, sophomore Ryan Clark, and senior Sam Moore.

Senior Tristan Wirfs won his finals match by fall, and will be making his third appearance at Wells Fargo, and senior Justin Light will be making his second. “

Growing up as a kid, you saw all of the state qualifiers, and just to achieve a goal that I’ve had for so long is just amazing,” said Jack Streicher.

“Every wrestler’s dream is a state championship, the first step for that is the state tournament,” said Sam Moore.

The Iowa State Wrestling Tournament will begin on Wednesday, Feb. 15, with the state duals, followed by the individual tournament Feb. 16-18.