Mount Vernon Wrestling 2A State Runner Up

Team Brings Home a Trophy for the Second Year In A Row
Jayce Pendergrass
The state wrestlers pose with their newly won 2nd place trophy.

The Iowa high school wrestling community came together at the Wells Fargo Arena this weekend for the much-anticipated Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament. Over the course of three days, spectators were treated to an extraordinary display of talent, determination, and sportsmanship as wrestlers from across the state competed for the title of state champion in their respective weight classes.

The tournament, organized by the Iowa High School Athletic Association (IHSAA), featured fierce competition and thrilling matches that kept fans on the edge of their seats. From the opening rounds to the championship finals, wrestlers left it all on the mat, demonstrating their skill and resilience in pursuit of glory.

Mount Vernon’s Klayton Perrault (106) dazzled spectators with a flawless 46-0 season, clinching the 2A state championship medal in wrestling. His remarkable performance, featuring 39 falls, 3 forfeits, and 1 major, not only dominated the mat but also etched his name in the record books, leaving the audience in awe.

Sophomore Jase Jaspers (138) wrestling for Mount Vernon, showing he is a fierce competitor in the ring went 40-4 this season and finished as the state runner-up in class 2A of the IHSAA tournament. “Going into the championship match I was confident because my experience from last year’s match and being in a similar situation before helped me calm my nerves,” Jaspers said. He also stated that the work he has put in during practices helps him cope with the nerves he got going into the championship matchup against Blake Fox who went 50-1 this season.

Going 43-6, one of the standout performers from Mount Vernon was senior Jackson Jaspers (144) setting the bar high with new school records that will be tough to beat in future years. In Jaspers’ words, “I came into my first match nervous, I needed to win to place.” Jaspers showcased his dominance with a series of impressive victories, ultimately clinching third in the state in his weight group. His unwavering determination and strategic prowess solidified his place as one of the top wrestlers in the state. Setting a new school record of 160 career wins along with being the second four-time state medalist in Mount Vernon history. Jaspers ends his high school career with a bang leaving his mark in Mount Vernon, setting the bar high for future Mount Vernon wrestlers.

Reflecting on the success of the tournament, Mount Vernon With eight wrestlers competing at state, five being on the podium, finished the tournament as the class 2A team runner-up bringing home a trophy for the second year in a row.

As the final matches concluded and the champions were crowned, the Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament came to a close, leaving behind a legacy of unforgettable moments and inspiring performances. For many wrestlers, the tournament serves as a stepping stone to future success, fueling their passion and dedication to the sport.