Science Olympiad Competes in First Competition

By Lauren Hauser

The Science Olympiad team placed 13th out of 32 teams at their first competition of the year in Boyceville, Wisconsin,

Juniors Laurel Sherman and Kate Liberko review their test from the Boyceville competition. Photo by Lauren Hauser.

on Saturday, Dec. 3. The team consists of 17 students from all grades.

Science Olympiad is an extracurricular activity where students can learn in-depth details about science and math topics. The competitors practice their specific events before participating at competitions against other high schools. Mount Vernon High School has had a team for the past four years.

The Mustangs continue to practice for upcoming competitions, all in preparation for the state competition in March, and meeting their season goals. “My goals for the rest of the year are to put in time, so I can help my team be as successful as we can,” said junior, Kate Liberko.  “Also I would say a team goal is to beat Ames this year at state. Ames has been our toughest rival for years.” The winning team at the state competition advances to the National competition, which consists of teams from all around the country.

Success is a common goal amongst the competitors, and Senior Mikayla Flockhart said that their success comes from having a motivating and driven coach, Mrs. Appley, and “each person having a competitive nature to them and a need to be the very best at what they do. All of this combines to create an amazing team that has achieved great things, and will continue on to do even better.”

The Mustangs will compete in Rockford, Illinois on Jan. 13-14.

Freshman Sadie Player prepares for her forensics competition Dec. 19. Photo by Lauren Hauser.