Wrestling Senior Night

By Abby Davidson

Although early in the season, Mount Vernon will be saying goodbye to some great senior wrestlers at their last home duals. This year in wrestling we said goodbye to six wrestlers and two managers. Jack Cochrane, Justin Light, Tony Garcia, Max Phillipp, Sam Moore, and Tristan Wirfs had their last opportunities to wrestle in Mount Vernon during their high school careers. While seniors Jessika Brokel and Kayla Hicks did their managing duties.

I kind of just thought about all the memories I’ve made in that gym over the years,” said Cochrane. “Whether that be from watching or competing.” 

Jack Cochrane, senior, pins Michael Broghammer of Solon in Cochrane’s second win of the night.

In the double dual, Mount Vernon first faced off against Beckman Catholic, after Beckman Catholic had faced Solon. Winning their first dual of the night, Mount Vernon defeated Beckman Catholic 51-27.

After the win against Beckman Catholic, Mount Vernon faced Solon. Mount Vernon put up a good fight but fell just a few points short, losing 34-31.

“Obviously, it’s still early in the year so it wasn’t super emotional,” said Cochrane. “But it’s still a cool moment.”

Cochrane would go on to win both of his matches that night, trying his best against Spencer Schlarmann and Michael Broghammer in the 220 weight class.

Senior, Justin Light, has 5 wins so far this season.