Rejoice! The Wait Is Over!

Cubs fans pose outside the high school Nov. 3, the day after the Cubs won the World Series.

By Ben McGuire

Last night the Cubs defeated the Indians 8-7 in 10 innings, a game many are calling possibly the best Game 7 in the history of baseball. To the excitement of many at MVHS, the North-Siders broke their 108 year title drought in epic fashion, all thanks to a little rain.

After the Cubs won, I called my grandfather, who was 10 years old when his team last reached the fall classic. He was ecstatic, as you could imagine. “They’ve got one great ball club, but I never thought I’d see them do it. Those guys fought so hard and I’m so proud of them. I’ve been a fan my whole life, and I finally feel like a winner,” he said in response to the game.

Many fans have been contacting loved ones all day. “I’m gonna call my grandpa, who turned 91 this year. I can’t wait to talk to him; he’s seen it all,” said assistant principal Matt Thede, who is a very passionate fan.

English teacher Matt Browning also shared the win with family. “I watched the game with my parents, and I’ve been texting friends all day. I think the best part of this all was being able to share and celebrate the moment with those we love and have gone through it with us,” he said.

In the top of the first the Cubs got off to an electric start after CF Dexter Fowler hit a leadoff home run to centerfield. Later on in the fourth, SS Addison Russell flew out to deep center to bring home Bryant. And rookie catcher Willson Contreras doubled to bring score Zobrist. And by the fifth inning it was all smiles for the Cubs faithful as 2B Javier Baez homered to right center, by the end of the fifth inning they lead 5 runs to 1.

By the bottom of the fifth inning Manager Joe Maddon decided to make a controversial call and pull his starter Kyle Hendricks. He put in starting pitcher Jon Lester for relief, along with his best friend and catcher David Ross. Ross, 39 years old, came into the game to play for the last time in his 15-year career. Indians 2B Jason Kipnis got on base on an infield single to load the bases. Immediately following that Lester threw a wild pitch that got away from Ross and brought in two runs for the Indians. Leaving the score 5-3 after 5 innings.

During the top of the sixth inning David Ross stepped to the plate in what appeared to be his last career at bat. Ross hit a homerun centerfield to tack on another run to the cubs lead, and end his career as the oldest person to hit a homerun in a World Series Game 7 (39 years 229 days).

Later on Lester was replaced in the eighth inning for the Cubs electric closer Aroldis Chapman. Lester left a man on second, Jason Kipnis doubled to bring in that run, making it a two run game with two outs in the eighth. Then to the dismay of Cub fans everywhere, Rajai Davis hit a line drive home run to rightfield to tie the game at 6 a piece.

“I don’t know if I’d thought we’d lost it, but as a Cubs fan I immediately resigned to the fact that we were going to lose, as a defense mechanism,” said Mr. Browning, a lifelong Cubs fan. “I tried to tell myself that it didn’t matter and I didn’t really care about it, even though it mattered immensely.”

The Cubs came up empty in the ninth, but Aroldis Chapman pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning to keep the Cubs’ hopes alive as the game headed into extra innings. It seemed like destiny, as came over Progressive Field, as the ninth inning ended, one team’s long awaited title drought would soon be ended.

The officiating crew called a rain delay, as both fan bases waited anxiously for the game to resume. During the delay, Cubs RF Jason Heyward called a players-only meeting, and the team talked out the previous few innings, and prepared for the next task–winning Game 7 of the World Series. After 17 spine-tingling minutes, the tarp was removed off the field and play resumed.

They wasted no time getting to work as DH Kyle Schwarber singled with no outs, he was pinch run for by rookie Albert Almora Jr. Kris Bryant flew out to deep centerfield out by the wall, but Alora was able to tag up and advance to second. The Indians decided to intentionally walk Anthony Rizzo, to instead face Ben Zobrist. Zobrist, to the elation of all Cubs fans doubled to left scoring Almora and bringing Rizzo to third. Addison Russell was intentionally walked to face Miguel Montero. Montero, whom had a horrible year from a batting standpoint stepped up to the plate and singled to left scoring Rizzo. Thus making it an 8-6 game. The Indians put up a fight by adding 1 run in the 10th, leaving the score 8-7. But they were no match, as pitcher Mike Montgomery got the first save of his career, as he grounded out Michael Martinez to make history, and at long last end the suffering.

The Cubs have been through the ringer, and so have their fans. From the eleven curses, to the miserable seasons filled with failure, to the pain and heartache of coming so close and losing it all. They can celebrate at last victory at last, celebrate with their loved ones. Celebrate the victory for those they’ve lost who would have love to have seen it. The Cubs are champions of the baseball world. See you all in 2124.

cwwqamduaaa7ju