Academic Decathlon Team: Small but Mighty

The Academic Decathlon Team: Caden Eskelsen, Jeremy Ferguson, Paige Zaruba, Jenna Baumler, Emma Walsh, Abby Patten, and Rachel Lochner. Photo by Jake Panos.

By Jake Panos

Academic Decathlon is a team competition that gives students the opportunity to match their intellects with students from other schools. A team usually consists of nine students in ninth through twelfth grade. Mount Vernon’s team only has seven members. This team may be a small team but it is a mighty one!  They work together after school and are led by Jeff Cardon. They are also still looking for students to join.

Students are tested in many different ways such as written tests, speeches, and essays. They are tested in art, economics, language or math, and every year the topic changes. This year the topic is World War II, while last year’s was  India. “The competitions are fun because you get to show up in your pajamas, take some tests, and change into nice clothes for a quick interview and speech,” said Jenna Baumler, a senior who has been in Academic Decathlon since her junior year.  

The club is for anyone, including students with a low GPA. In fact, the competition is broken into three tiers of GPAs: Honors (3.75–4.00 GPA), Scholastic (3.00–3.74 GPA), and Varsity (0.00–2.99 GPA). “It’s such a fun and relaxed environment,” said Baumler. The club runs through January and they meet after school at the high school.