Sophomores Blaze Through Beckman

By Madelyn Steen

Mount Vernon’s sophomore volleyball team claimed a solid victory over the Beckman Catholic Blazers Tuesday night. With each of three games ending in a Mustang win, the match was considered by coaches and teammates an overall success.

Comprised of eight sophomores and six freshmen, the team is very well rounded, and rotated often throughout the match. Hitters attacked every ball they could get their hands on, with 33 total attacks, 18 of which were kills. Sophomore Rachel Lochner ended the final game (15-10) with a spike down the line to the left back corner.

Serving accuracy was also a game changer with only two missed-serves in the entire match.

But, like most sports, the match came with its own set of challenges. The Beckman Blazers were tough opponents, having great communication, along with many strong attacks that the Mustangs weren’t ready for.

“I’d like to see our blocking ability improve,” said head coach Jessie Corcoran. There were only two successful blocks made by the Mustangs, one by sophomore Alexis Behrens, and the other by setter Summer Brand, a freshman.

On a few occasions, two or more players collided after not calling the ball. “Talking was a real issue. All around, we need to be a lot louder,” said Sophomore Anika Perry.

But, the overall spirit of the team was not dampened by these challenges. They stayed positive, and fought hard throughout the entirety of the match. This, in the end, led to their success.

Mount Vernon High Volleyball –  Sophomore Roster    

Number

Name

Grade

1

Brand, Summer

9

2

Leopold, Annie

9

3

Zaruba, Paige

10

4

Houghtaling, Morgan

10

5

Lochner, Rachel

10

7

Rubner, Brianna

9

9

Buck, Marissa

10

10

Cooper, Lara

10

13

Mahoney, Amaya

9

14

Behrens, Alexis

10

21

Hauser, Lauren

9

23

McCollum, Lauren

9

24

Perry, Anika

10

29

Kalm, Lauren

10