Early Track Season Preview

By Bailey Priborsky

The Mount Vernon High School Track and Field team kicked off the season in a strong way last week.  The boys placed first and the girls were runner up at the Cornell meet on March 26. Later on the boys dominated at Tipton and the girls made 26 personal records. Both teams are looking to have qualifiers make it to state once again this year.

Along with taking home the win the track team also accomplished the fantastic feat of having multiple team and individual times place them at the top of the WaMac-East Conference. So far the MVHS Boys Track and Field have placed first with the top times in the 4 by 800 Meter Relay and the 1600 Medley Relay. Individuals are also holding the top times in the conference. For example, junior Jack Cochrane is first in the 400 Meter Dash with a time of 52.39. Another would be senior Peyton Wilch with the 800 Meter Run and a time of 2:03.22. Holding the top spot for two events is junior Jack Young,the 1600 Meter Run with a time of 4:40.02 and 3200 Meter Run with a time of 9:55.06. “We all know we still have a lot of work ahead of us if we want to achieve our goals at the State Meet in May,” said Young. In the field events our very own junior Tristan Wirfs holds the top spot for shot put with a distance of 166-11.0. The team focuses on giving their all during every practice and gaining experience from the next few meets.

The MVHS Girls Track and Field have also been successful in their season so far. They have been runner up in both meets they have competed in this season. The girls hold top individual times in the conference as well. Senior Maren Jeppson is first in the 1500 Meter Run with a time of 5:11.01. She is also third in the 800 Meter Run. Two of our seniors hold two of the top five spots in the 3000 Meter Run. Junior Shae Banwart is in third place with a time of 1:51.53 and junior Lydia Frey is in fifth place with a time of 12:46.85. In the field events junior Libby Ryan is first in Long Jump with a distance of 15-07.50.

“We have a lot of fast and talented freshmen that have really helped us and our seniors are doing a great job,” said Ryan.

The team has really proven themselves during the heat of competition with all of these person records that have been achieved. As a team MVHS Girls Track and Field are first in four events. These include the 4 by 100 Shuttle Hurdle Relay, 4 by 400 Meter Relay, 800 Medley Relay and 4 by 800 Meter Relay. “The athletes have been focused, ready to train and have performed great when provided the opportunity,” said Coach Willems.

Landing her jump, junior LIbby Ryan finishes her event at Cornell on March 26
Landing her jump, junior Libby Ryan finishes her event at Cornell on March 26. Photo by Rachel Bell.
Freshman Ryan Clark hands the baton off to a teammate at Cornell on March 26. Photo by Rachel Bell.

With the pace the runners have been going, this season will be a great one across the board.