The Mustangs command the Cardinals Friday

By Jackson Bootsmiller

The Mount Vernon JV boys basketball team dominated Maquoketa  at the Mount Vernon Middle School Friday, beating the Cardinals 71-31. At the start of the first quarter the Mustangs got out to a quick 5-0 lead after a number of turnovers by the Cardinals. The first quarter was one of many turnovers by both teams but the Mustangs came out of the first quarter on top 9-2.

Early in the second quarter momentum changed when sophomore Abe Kinrade of Maquoketa had a huge slam after a turnover by the Mustangs, that made the score 12-7. It was a thrilling end to the second quarter as the Mustangs drove down the court and nailed a couple 3’s including a buzzer beater shot by freshman Garrett Welch to make it 36-15 ‘Stangs going into halftime.

It was a very defensive 3rd quarter for the ‘Stangs as they outscored their opponent 20-9. The score at the end of the 3rd was 56-24 Mustangs.

It was a slow start to the 4th quarter for both teams, but after an injury timeout for Maquoketa #1 of the Cardinals hit a jump shot to put them down by thirty. The Mustangs returned the call when sophomore Jordan Axtell got fouled and hit both free throws. The 4th was a shut down quarter for the Mustangs only allowing their opponent to score 5 points to seal the game. The previous time the team played Maquoketa they barely squeaked out the win. But the Mustangs pulled it off to end their three game slump.

“We were unselfish. We were passing the ball and getting open shots that helped us come out on top,” said sophomore power forward Trenton Baty.

Freshman Drew Adams approaches a Maquoketa player. Drew scored nine points Friday night. Photo by Zach Vislisel.

“We had a lot of turnovers, but that’s what happens in a fast pace game,” said sophomore shooting guard Zach Krogmann.

Mount Vernon vs. Maquoketa

MV 71, Maquoketa 31

MV  9 36 56 71

Maq 2 15 24 31

MV scoring leaders: (#32) Welch 11, (#23) Leopold 9, (#12) Adams 9, (#1) J. Krogmann 8, (#20) Z. Krogmann 7, (#14) Goldberg 6, (#24) Snedden 6