Student Journalists Attend, Present, and Compete at Contest

By Abby Gross
At this year’s Iowa High School Press Association Fall Conference, over 600 students came to listen to several different seminars. The students went from room to room to breakout sessions and listened to the talented professionals speak about their journalistic passions. For sophomore Maggie Rechkemmer, the experience was much different than that of most students. Maggie was one of those speakers.

Mount Vernon’s yearbook staff made a presentation at the conference Oct. 23. They shared their advice on how to take advantage of social media when wanting to share news, pictures, and information. Maggie had a big part in this presentation. She spoke to nearly 50 students and teachers about how the school newspaper and yearbook uses Twitter.

Senior Luke Maddock showed how the yearbook students are using Pinterest to pin ideas for the yearbook spreads.
Two Mount Vernon students competed in on-the-spot contests at this year’s conference.

Kelsey Shady
Kelsey Shady

Senior Wyatt Swartzendruber and sophomore Kelsey Shady both entered in the on-the-spot photography competition. Fifty students entered this cut-throat contest. Wyatt placed second last year, and this year Kelsey was able to place third.

“I am really proud of Kelsey because there is tough competition at this conference, and she is only a sophomore,” said journalism adviser JoAnn Gage. “She covered the beginning part of the conference in a unique way, capturing the keynote speaker and some of the breakout sessions.”

Kelsey was shocked when she heard she won third prize. “There were almost 300 photos entered.” Kelsey explained. She will most likely enter the contest again next year.

Maggie said the experience was very intimidating but it was worth it; she will learn and grow from it. She hopes to have to the chance to present again within her next few years in high school. Even if the chance doesn’t present itself again she looks forward to going to the conference and learning more each year.

2013-2014 IHSPA Yearbook Awards Announced

The yearbook staff placed th

Student Journalists attend the IHSPA Fall Conference in Iowa City Oct. 23.

ird in the Class A Sweepstakes for their 2013-2014 yearbook “If You Really Knew Mount Vernon” at the IHSPA Fall Conference. In addition, the group took home many individual awards:
Sarah Boettcher: 3rd Place Feature Writing.
Laura Deininger: 1st place Theme Concept, 2nd Place Feature Writing, Honorable Mention Sports Design .
Lexi Kelly: Honorable Mention Feature Photo.
Gabby Kolker: 1st and 3rd Place People Design, 3rd Place Organization Performance Photo, Honorable Mention Organization Performance Writing, 2nd Place Infographic.
Maggie Rechkemmer: 2nd Place Sports Writing, Honorable Mention Academics Writing.
Hannah Wieditz: 1st Place Cover, 1st Place Photo Illustration, 2nd Place Student Life Design, 3rd Place Feature Presentation, Honorable Mention Feature Writing, Honorable Mention Organization Performance Design.