Hook and Herrmann Soar to Substate after 7 Years as Teammates

Connor Herrmann shoots a basket at district finals Tuesday.
Connor Herrmann shoots a basket at district finals Tuesday. Photo by Claire Pettinger.

By Claire Pettinger

Varsity starters Tom Hook and Connor Herrmann began their career in basketball in the third grade and have been best friends ever since. They have played for the the past seven years on various teams together, from parks and rec all the way to starting varsity sophomore year.

“It helps a lot because we know where each other will be on the court and we know each other’s game,” says Hook. “It also helps that our team is friends off the court. It creates very good team chemistry on the court,” Hook adds.

These comments are reflected in each game they play, and even in the halls at school. The long-time friendship of Herrmann and Hook has aided in the success of the team this season.

Tonight the Mustangs (18-5) play in the regional finals against North Cedar (20-4) at Jefferson High School. If they win they will play in the state tournament in Des Moines. Good luck boys!

See more photos Claire took of Tuesday’s game on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.737829652901468.1073741854.140939439257162&type=1

Tommy Hook goes up for a shot against Regina third quarter in the 2A District Final game against Regina.  Tommy scored 31 points, 20 in the first half. The Mustangs beat Regina, 73-63. Photo by Claire Pettinger.
Tommy Hook goes up for a shot against Regina in the third quarter in the 2A District Final game against Regina. Tommy scored 31 points, 20 in the first half. Photo by Claire Pettinger.
Mount Vernon Varsity Basketball Team coached by Wes Bruns