Twin Wrestlers: One Heads to State

By Ashley Ruden-

When you think of twins, normally what comes to mind is same size, same weight. Now imagine twins wrestling on the same team. Same size, same weight would be a problem, right? Not for Kyle and Mitchel Jilovec, juniors at Mount Vernon High School.

Kyle, weighing in at 120 pounds, is 60 pounds lighter and two inches shorter than his brother Mitchel, who weighs 182 and is five feet nine inches tall. They never had to worry about competing against each other on the mat.

Both grew up with a desire to wrestle, and living in the same house, always had a practice partner. They often had wrestling matches in their house, but according to Mitchel, even though he was bigger, Kyle was always the winner.

As a wrestler, when the season starts, the focus is primarily on the match of the week, or the tournament for the upcoming weekend. However, there is always the “holy grail” in a wrestler’s mind, which is Des Moines in February.

The hardest thing for twins with the state – wrestling tournament is if one makes it and the other doesn’t. This year, the Jilovec twins are in that situation. After last week’s district tournament, Kyle was the one who made it to state. According to Mitchel, “I am very proud of my brother and he deserves it.” He does add, “I just wish I hadn’t been thrown.”

Wrestling coach Aaron Truitt said, “The main difference between the two is size. They both have a good work ethic, put in the time, and have a good attitude.”

Kyle had several thoughts on his bid for the state title. “It’s more than I ever thought it would be,” he said. “It’s been a huge dream of mine. Coming out on the short end of the stick last year really motivated me.” Kyle said that he lost by a point to go to state at districts last year.

Kyle’s season has not been an easy road. He was plagued with a virus that kept him from competing in a couple of tournaments. Then, when he recovered from that, was diagnosed with a skin infection that delayed him from competition even longer.

Despite those obstacles, Kyle has a strategy that he adheres to in order to prepare for the state tournament. “My strategy is sticking to the moves that have made me successful,” he said. “Mental and physical toughness is the key. I take advantage of every opportunity I get, whether it is wrestling, weightlifting, or just running. You need to have a strong work ethic.”

Regardless of the outcome this weekend, Mitchel will be Kyle’s biggest fan. In Mitchel’s own words, “He was tough.”

Mitchel and Kyle Jilovec pose together Feb. 15. Mitchel wrestles at 182 pounds, while Kyle wrestles at 120. Photo by Ashley Ruden.

Mount Vernon hosted its Class 2A districts Feb. 11. The top two in each weight class head to Des Moines on Thursday to begin state competition. The Mustangs will have four competing: Trey Ryan, champ at 145; Kyle Jilovec, runner up at 120;Tyler Rawson, runner up at 170 and Josh Cannon, runner up at 220. Kyle is set to wrestle Dylan Peters (Denver-Tripoli) in first round pairings.