Girls Basketball Team Wins Regional Semifinal Game

Senior Ella Norton fights DeWitt for the ball Feb. 3. The Mustangs beat the Sabers 52-34. Photo by Lauren Hauser.
Junior Kristen Elliott sets up a 3-point shot. Photo by Lauren Hauser.

By Katy Bellamy
The Mount Vernon Mustangs stomped the Anamosa Raiders 66-52 during the regional semifinal game Feb. 15, at Mount Vernon High School.

The Raiders came into the game with a record of 10-12, while the Mustangs were 16-6. Earlier in the season the varsity girls team topped the Raiders in two different settings, 64-35 and 58-30.

The Raiders traveled close behind the Mustangs for a majority of the game. Just at the end of the first quarter, the Mustangs were in the lead 19-16. At the half, the Mustangs were leading 34-30 thanks to a buzzer beater shot from Kristen Elliott. Towards the end of the third quarter, the Raiders made their way ahead of the Mustangs for only a second, but failed to continue their lead through the fourth quarter.

It has been another competitive year for the Mustangs with needed improvements and tough teams to face. “Last year I had a problem with fouling and not being aggressive enough. So this year I wanted to be more aggressive, but at the same time, play smarter and cut down on my fouling,” said Ella Norton, a post for the Mustangs.

“My personal goals for this season were to play well every game. I knew a lot of people would have high expectations for me so I knew that I had to play my best every game,” said junior Kristen Elliott.
The Mustangs have a wise panel of coaches to guide them in the right direction during practices and games. “I think I have learned the most this season when I come to the bench after I play, because the coaches always tell you how you did and how you can improve, which is the most beneficial thing,” said Norton.

Senior Libby Ryan defends the basket against DeWitt Feb. 3. Photo by Lauren Hauser.

The fear that this game against the Raiders could possibly be the last one for the senior girls on the team, did not bother Norton or many of her teammates. “I tried to put the idea out of my mind and play the game just like any other game,” said Norton.