Outstanding performers head to All-State

The All Staters of Mount Vernon and Lisbon performed in a showcase on Sunday, April 3rd. Front: Luke Moran, Sam White Back: Jack Young, Zach Vig, James Cannon, Jenna Baumler, Nicole Margheim, Kasey Springsteen
"Take the Picture!" Junior Jenna Baumler yells as her speech coach, Mrs. Tenley, jumps on her back for the picture with the coaches. Performers who made All-State speech performed in a showcase on April 3.
“Take the Picture!”
Junior Jenna Baumler yells as her speech coach, Mrs. Tenley, jumps on her back for the picture with the coaches. Performers who made All-State speech performed in a showcase on April 3.

By Sam White

In a typical year at Mount Vernon, our speech team is lucky to get one or two competitors into the prestigious Individual Event All-State Speech Festival. This year, six of Mount Vernon’s remarkable “speechies” were nominated. To make the All-State nomination list, at least two judges must consider your performance “outstanding”. It’s a huge honor to be nominated for All-State speech in the non performing group, let alone, the performing group. The day that nominations come out, students constantly refresh their webpages, waiting to see who makes it in. “It’s awesome that we got so many people in this year. I’ve never seen that happen before in such a small school” says Junior Luke Moran. Moran made All-State in both of his events, which is hard to do, as it’s so competitive.

An Individual Event in speech is exactly that, people doing various forms of speech including, Solo Musical Theatre, Poetry, and Storytelling, on their own. The individual speech season follows shortly after the large group season comes to an end. This Festival is the last event in the 2016 individual event speech season. The speech team will perform and watch all of the amazing students at the IE All-State Festival tomorrow, Monday, April 4 at UNI.

All State Nominations List

Performing:

Jenna Baumler- Prose

Nicole Margheim- Prose

Luke Moran- Literary Program

Zach Vig- Radio News Announcing

Sam White- Reviewing

Jack Young- Radio News Announcing

Non Performing:

Luke Moran- Solo Musical Theatre