Conference Champs

IMG_0608bailey feb 11 maquoketaBy Bailey Priborsky

On Thursday February, 11th Maquoketa Cardinals traveled to our court to determine the winner of the conference. Earlier on in the season Mount Vernon triumphed over Maquoketa 56-51. The win was within reach and the team seized the opportunity. Mount Vernon boys basketball needed this win against Maquoketa to seal the deal as conference champs. Hardwork and determination all led to Mount Vernon securing the title with a final score of 64-48.

Starting the game off strong with an eight point lead in the first quarter Mount Vernon played with their hearts on their sleeves. Throughout the game the team was able to keep a significant lead on the opponent. Leading the game at halftime with the score of 33-17, Mount Vernon all but had the game in their pocket. Senior Connor Herrmann led the game by scoring 30 points creating the majority of the offense for Mount Vernon. Followed by senior Tommy Hook and junior Austin Ash with a score of 12 each.

This means that Mount Vernon boys basketball get to continue playing through the post-season as a family, getting better every day. This is a tough conference so it is an honor to be at the top. However this is the gateway to a successful post-season. “It is a huge honor and I am proud of what my teammates and I accomplished.” said senior Chris Chapman.

Since MV won the conference, after the game the team gathered to cut down the nets. Ladders were used and every teammate had a chance to climb up. Each player kept a section from the net and the rest is put in the trophy case for others to witness the accomplishment of our players.

Individually holding their piece of the net the Mount Vernon Boys Basketball team admires their success throughout the regular season and looks forward to what they have in store for post-season.