Behind The Big Red Curtain

Concentrating on his task at hand, Sayre Pollock, puts a window together. The tech crew spent four hours on Sunday, October 25, building doors and windows.
Sophomore, Emma Ault helps freshman, Kate Margheim, screw hinges on the door. Emma and Kate have been very involved in tech for many years.

The students participating in tech spend approximately five hours a week for about seven weeks leading up to the first show. Although it’s a lot of time, especially when the date of the play comes closer, kids enjoy it a lot. “Being part of tech is fun, because it’s amazing to watch how the show gets put together,” said freshman, Shianne Sneed. Their role in the play may not be seen onstage, but it’s very important.

Junior Sam Krapfl and sophomore Maggie Lynott play the lead roles of a couple moving in together in the play, What my Mother Taught Me. All is going well for this couple until both sets of in-laws decide to show up. Then, drama is just bound to happen.

Grace Krapfl, a freshman student in tech, helps her brother practice his lines and makes a different voice for every character she reads. She’s not in the play, but she still has fun behind the scenes with all of her friends. Sophomore, Emma Ault said, “I do tech, because we’re all one big happy family.” A bunch theater kids, painting, telling funny stories, and making inside jokes together is a lot of fun. Tech is something more people should try to experience. They say it’s worth your time.

What My Mother Taught Me will be presented on Nov. 6 and 7 at 7 p.m. in the district auditorium. The play will also be performed in the State of Iowa’s Thespian festival at UNI.