Student Council Members Strive for More Involvement

By Macy Griebel

Freshmen Sydney Hauser and Sam White dress as some cute geeks on jocks vs. geeks day for homecoming. Student council is attempting to get more participation this year by offering prizes.
Freshmen Sydney Hauser and Sam White dress as some cute geeks on jocks vs. geeks day for homecoming. Student council is attempting to get more participation this year by offering prizes. Photo by Emma Klinkhammer

It’s Homecoming Week at MVHS and the student council is hard at work to make it great. “This is our biggest event of the year,” said Maggie Lynott. On Tuesday, Sept. 15, they held a meeting to discuss and finalize homecoming plans. This included a new style of playlist for the dance and a new contest for the best dressed throughout the week.

“The main focus for student council this year is to have the student body become a family and bring everyone together,” said senior David Taylor, the president of student council this year.  So they decided to try many new things to meet their goal of bringing the school together. “It is important to make decisions that are suitable to everyone’s taste for music and dress up days,” says sophomore Maggie Lynott.

For the playlist student council sent out an email to the entire student body asking for recommendations. Their goal is to make a playlist that everyone would enjoy, and have fun dancing to. Once they began receiving emails on song ideas they put them into Spotify and made a playlist. In the meeting on Tuesday they all sat down and went through all seven hours of the songs they had received and cut it down to four hours. “We have to keep the classics,” said David Taylor as they cut down the song request they had received.

Another new concept they started this year was having a competition for the best dressed throughout Homecoming Week. Each member of student council picked a business and went out to ask them to co-sponsor homecoming week. Throughout the week the teachers and administration kept a lookout for the best dressed. On Friday during the all school assembly student council will present gift cards to the top 10 of the best-dressed students.

2015-16 Student Council Members

Freshman

Brynden Fisher, Lauren Kalm

Sophomores

Blaise Anton, Maggie Lynott

Juniors

Faith Anton, Gabe Golberg, Jack Young, Ryan Williams,

Seniors

David Taylor (President), Lily Dahlstrom (Secretary), Matt Hermsen-White (Vice President) Mickey Hines,