Lehmans recount WWII era memories

By Kate Elsbury

Fred and Marian Lehman interact with a freshman during their presentation Feb. 27.
Fred and Marion Lehman interact with a freshman during their presentation Feb. 27 Photo by Austin Webster.

As part of the freshman social studies curriculum, World War II veterans spend the afternoon speaking to U.S. History students about the experiences they had during the war. On Feb. 27, Fred and Marion Lehman traveled to the high school to give an account of what life for them was like and to answer questions from students. Being stateside allowed them to give insight to the freshmen about what it was like living in America during World War II.

Fred Lehman was a Marine and and his wife Marion volunteered her time at the USO (United Service Organization).

Students thought both did a wonderful job of answering their questions and sharing their in-depth experiences. “The things they said were very intriguing and thought provoking,” said freshman Matt Morrical.

The freshmen liked hearing from people with first-hand experiences rather than reading it from a text book. This interactive way of learning allowed the students to recieve heartfelt answers and more clarity on the subject.

Students would like to thank this couple for the opportunity of getting to meet them and for teaching them about history. “Thanks for coming in and putting up with our class, serving our nation, and sharing your experiences,” freshman Kate Liberko said.

Fred and Marian Lehman speak to MVHS freshmen Feb. 27, 2015. See video here:

Three couples who lived through and served during WWII speak to Mount Vernon High School Students on Feb. 7, 2013. Speakers are John and Betty Wolfe, Bennie and Vi Pospisil, and Fred and Marion Lehman. View video here: