Therapy Dog Alleviates Anxiety at Washington Elementary

By Brylee Brendes-
Many of us have already seen or heard of our elementary school’s comfort dog Joy, the Bernese Mountain dog. Shes a big, soft, lovable addition to the staff, and a helpful one, at that. Joy spends most of her time in the school counselor’s office, or wandering from class to class assisting the kids who may have high anxiety levels or certain disabilities. She brightens the days of students when they see her enter a class or walking down the hall.

A Mount Vernon kindergartener says, “Joy makes my tummy feel better.” Joy is trained to assist children with anxiety.

Advocates for therapy dogs in schools will tell you that there are plenty of social benefits, such as building self-esteem and social skills, decreasing loneliness, encouraging positive behaviors and teaching responsibility as well as academic ones. They say that once the novelty of a puppy walking around wears off, they’re not a distraction, but an important tool for children who may be prone to anxiety because the dogs are given specialized training in trauma sensitivity. Joy is a benefit because she gives non-verbal support for all students.

Students gather around Joy, the therapy dog, who is dressed up in her Halloween costume last year.

Gina Becthold, a Mount Vernon third grade teacher, and her family care for Joy in their home and bring her to and from school every day. They trained Joy to respond to commands from Mrs. Becthold.

“Joy provides motivation and reinforcement for students,’said Mrs. Becthold. “Students have opportunities to read to the dog. She provides social support and invites peer interaction. The dog will be available to ‘listen’ to students in crisis or to ‘celebrate’ with them when they experience success. She has helped preschool students transition from home to school in the morning.”

When students and teachers see Joy walking in her blue vest, they immediately forget what they were thinking about an run to see her. A calm, mild mannered dog with big eyes, Joy is a very sweet companion who makes a big difference.