Robotics Teams Compete Well at Worlds

The two Mount Vernon Robotics teams and their robots performed well at the FIRST Technical Challenge (FTC) World Championships April 25 – April 28.

Out of 128 FTC teams competing in two FTC divisions, Mount Vernon’sTeam 3549 went 5 -3 in qualification matches and finished in 19th place. They were also one of 3 teams nominated for the Think Award (see below).

Team 458 Activate Go Initiative!: Mildred Chihak, Matt Peiffer, Hunter Lind, Paul Chihak, Nicholas Liberko, Alex White, Macon McInnis, Robert Banwart

Team 458 went 4 – 4 and finished 32nd.

Speakers included inventor and FIRST founder Dean Kamen, singer will.i.am, former NBA basketball player and actor Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and MIT professor Woody Flowers. Along with FTC, there were also FRC, FLL (LEGO), and Jr. FLL teams competing. In all over 12,000 students were competing in St. Louis at the Edward Jones Dome.

Think Award: This judged award is given to the team that best reflects the “journey” the team took as they experienced the engineering design process during the build season. The Engineering Notebook is the key reference for judges to help identify the most deserving team. The team’s Engineering Notebook should focus on the design and build stage of the team’s robot. Journal entries of interest to judges for this award will include those describing the steps, brainstorms, designs, re‐designs, successes, and those ‘interesting moments’ when things weren’t going as planned.

Team 3549 Classified. Front: Sara Lyon, Ashley Neal, Aubrey Lyon. Back row: Catie Sheehy, Kate Baumler, Renny Klein, Halima Chambo, Drew Keller, Gage Lochner

Mentors:
Chris Lyon, Gary Scott, Jerry Sheehy, Cheryl Sheehy, Daniel Riechers, DeAnn Scearce, Dave Keller.