Students Trained as Sources of Strength for Peers

By Taylor Hauser-
After three student suicides last year, the goal the school district had was prevention, and they also wanted to give support.

Carrie Nichols, a community member, did research online and found the Sources of Strength program. Once presented, everyone was on board, especially middle school counselor, Jennifer Holub.

“We wanted something to support what we were already doing to help,” said Mrs. Holub. “It’s a really nice compliment to search institute efforts,” she added.

Once the program was discovered, Bethany Campbell Tvedt, the executive director of the Mount Vernon Community School District Foundation, wrote a grant to help fund it. Through writing the grant, the school district acquired $10,000 to pay for Sources of Strength training.

Sources of Strength: Front Row: Taylor Hauser, Krista Plower, Savannah Willard, Michaela Martin, Lauren Wilch, Claire Pettinger, Hannah Ganzel, Corinne Lee. Row 2: James Wenzel, Ben Logan, Rachel Engel, Liz Kamerling, Abbey Teubel, Whitney Woods, Jake Leopold, Hannah Whitley, Joe, Liberko, Trevor Baty, Mildred Chihak, Kirra Hayslip. Row 3: Tanner Mote, Paulie Massey, Alex Reid, Grayson Snyder. Back Row: Chelsee Shortt, Shannon Reisinger, Kaiser Arndt, Maggie Howell, Taylor Goetschius, Ali Jaeger, Keanan Shannon, Cory Brannaman, Paul Hines, Sources of Strength Director of Communication Scott LoMurray, Doug Shannon.
After the program was backed by funding, students in grades 5-11 wrote down three people from their own grade whom they felt would make good peer leaders. From that, it was narrowed down to about 10 students per grade level, who were selected for the training.

On Tuesday, April 10 (grades 5-8) and Wednesday, April 11 (grades 9-11) students completed about four hours of training from a Sources of Strength director. “It was thoughtful and positive,” said junior Tanner Mote. The training included activities, games and brainstorming, all aimed toward how to become stronger, and better peer leaders. Therefore, enabling them to be there for other students, so they can consult them in trying times and when in need of support. Freshman Corinne Lee said, “I felt like I could talk to people better,” in reference to after the training was over.

Now that the training is complete, students and administrators involved want to get the word out about Sources of Strength. Mrs. Holub called it “social marketing” because the group plans to organize things like text messages, Facebook groups, and posters, among others.

Mrs. Holub said they want “to change the social norms” and help give students access to assistance and help with mental health. The group also plans to meet again before school lets out, and will have periodic meetings throughout the course of the upcoming school year.

“I think it will help bring us together more with the activities we are planning,” said junior participant Hannah Ganzel.

“I am really excited and proud of the students that have been identified as peer leaders,” said Mrs. Holub. The group hopes to share their message and be able to help students and give them someone to talk with. The goal, Mrs. Holub said, is to “be a liaison” for students who aren’t ready to talk with an adult.

Corinne said she thinks it will make our school “more open” and “make people more willing to talk to other people.”

Mrs. Holub also noted that if anyone has questions or wants to learn more about Sources of Strength, to talk with one of the peer leaders.