Leeann Oelrich Wins Essay Contest

Leeann reads her winning essay Oct. 11, at Prairie Lights in Iowa City. Photo by Steve Brand

By Corinne Lee-
Senior Leeann Oelrich’s essay, “Serendipity on the Wapsi” won her a $500.00 scholarship check from the Iowa City UNESCO City of Literature. The essay is about a trip that she took with her family down the Wapsipinicon River. Leeann is a student of English teacher Sarah Richardson, who first introduced her to the contest and informed her of her win. Leeann plans to go to a four year college and would like to major in psychology and would like to have a career in art therapy.

The essay contest was for the Paul Engle Writing Prompt Project and Essay Contest. Paul Engle dedicated his life to the teaching and celebration of literature in Iowa. He was also known for his descriptive writing. For the paper Leeann wrote she tried to sound as descriptive as possible, “I definitely like to outline my papers and be very intentional about my writing,” she said. This writing was different for her. She said, “For this particular essay I went on another float to observe deeper and describe more thoroughly.” She feels very rewarded for being able to have this experience. “I’d like to encourage people to give these contests a shot. It’s a really rewarding experience, and you won’t lose anything by trying,” she said.

The following students received Honorable Mention:Margaret Shultz, “A Mountain Lion,” AP English teacher, Nate Frese, Iowa City West High School principal, Dr. Jerry Arganbright;Abigail Baron, “My Iowa Moment,” Language Arts teacher, Ivy Nelson, Solon High School principal, Nathan Wear; and Anna Egeland, “The Ferris Wheel,” Language Arts teacher, Nate Frese, Iowa City West High School principal, Dr. Jerry Arganbright.

All four students were invited to read their essays at Prairie Lights Book Store, in Iowa City on Tuesday, Oct. 11. as part of our Paul Engle Day Celebration. The readings will be broadcast live on Writing University website: http://writinguniversity.uiowa.edu/. Mrs. Richardson and Principal Steve Brand both attended the reading to hear Leeann.