Freshman Team Wins Shaving Cream Classic

[metaslider id=8990]

The trophy winners pose for a photo together. Kale Merrill won the junior MVP, Kolby Volesky won the sophomore MVP, Mr. Thede won the staff MVP, Kayden Pendergrass won “Best Dressed”, Clayton Loyd won senior MVP, and Ben Moss won freshmen MVP.

Slideshow and story by Lauren Hauser
On Fri. March 2, the freshman team went undefeated in the annual shaving cream classic round-robin tournament for the first time in MVHS history.

Before this year, the freshman team had never won the men’s volleyball tournament. The class of 2021 made history after beating all of the other teams to go 4-0 on the night. “I think a lot of us noticed we were going to be good when we started warming up,” said freshman Walker Lawrence. “We have a lot of guys who could play any place we needed them and we have a couple guys who can serve very well.”

The freshmen started the night with a big win against the juniors. Then they went on to defeat the staff, the juniors, and the sophomores. Finally, they ended the night with a victory against the seniors to become champions. “At first we were a bit unsteady, but after we got a couple wins we were feeling good,” said freshman Trever Weber. “My favorite thing was definitely beating all of the upperclassmen.”

Freshman Ben Moss was awarded the MVP by the freshman coaches. His teammates and coaches noticed his skills in serving and passing for the championship team. With one year under their belt, the freshmen will return next year confident in their volleyball abilities. “The thing that made us successful was just playing as a team,” said Weber.

“I am looking forward to next year,” said freshman Aidan Nosek, “because of the fun, worry-free environment that shaving cream classic brings to the table.”

The Most Valuable Players, chosen by the coaches, were senior Clayton Loyd, junior Kale Merrill, sophomore Kolby Volesky, freshman Ben Moss, and staff member Mr. Thede. Kayden Pendergrass won “Best Dressed.”

The event is sponsored by the journalism department.