Adams Breaks All-Time Record

By Lauren Hauser 

On Fri. Oct. 20 during the Mustangs’ game against the Williamsburg Raiders, senior quarterback Drew Adams surpassed the eleven man all-time record for career touchdown passes. The memorable 42-14 victory over the Raiders consisted of five touchdown passes from Adams, and clinched a district title for the Mustangs for the second year in a row.

“Drew is a special talent, starting with his freshman year he has gotten better every year,”said head coach Lance Pedersen. “It doesn’t happen by accident. He has great work ethic and determination to become the best that he can be. Drew learns from his mistakes and learns from the things he does well and is never satisfied.”  Drew completed six touchdown passes as a freshman, and has improved each year since.

“The opportunity to play as a freshman doesn’t come often but coach and the guys playing at the time trusted me and it really helped,” said Adams.

Early in the first quarter, Adams threw a touchdown pass to junior Blake Booth to tie the record. Booth caught four touchdown passes from Adams on Friday night. “Having Drew throwing balls makes everything a lot easier,” said Booth.

To break the record at 99 career touchdown passes, Adams connected with senior Cale Snedden later in the first quarter. “It was exciting and really cool that it happened to be with Cale, who has been one of my top targets the past two years,” said Adams.

“The first thing that came to mind when I caught the pass was I have to find Drew,” said Snedden. “All the hard work he has put in the past four years has put him at the top and proves he is the best quarterback in the state.”   

The Mustangs are set to play Centerville on Fri. Oct. 27 at home in the first round of State Playoffs. “It’s a great feeling to be going into the playoffs,” said Adams “and it’s exciting knowing we have an opportunity to accomplish something special.”

Junior Blake Booth celebrates a touchdown early in the first quarter. Booth caught four touchdown passes against the Raiders. Photo by Lauren Hauser.
Quarterback Drew Adams looks for an open receiver during the game against Williamsburg on Oct. 20. The Mustangs defeated the Raiders 42-14. Photo by Lauren Hauser.