Playing the Right Hand

Blaine Schumacher

By Brittney Darrow

Seeing students playing cards is common in the halls of Mount Vernon High School. From poker to to rummy, Blaine Schumacher does it all. During J-term he had the opportunity to take the class Are You Game.

Are You Game is taught by math teachers Mary Young and Beth McCollum. Schumacher said that he took the class because most of his friends were taking it and that he was “excited to learn.” Are You Game teaches about probability. “It was an eye opener of how likely you are to actually win,” Schumacher said. He also enjoyed the class because he got to meet new people in his class that he usually doesn’t interact with.

His favorite part of the class was getting to teach the class a game at the end. His group taught the class Macy Griebel’s family card game. It was called Michigan rummy and it was different from regular rummy because you have a different goal for each round.

On his own time Schumacher likes to play cards with his friends: Drew Adams, Nick Lengwin, Austin Ash, Cale Snedden, Chris Grice, Nick Leopold, and many others. Usually they play games before a basketball game at Cale Snedden’s house or after lunch at school. Matt Gearheart made a poker table that they use often. Schumacher and his friends play poker, rummy, blackjack, and in between. Mostly his friends and he play poker. “I enjoy playing rummy with my family after dinner. It is really fun and easy.”

One of Schumacher’s favorite memories from playing cards is during Are You Game. “Aaron Barnhart went all in-in poker before we got our cards. He actually ended up winning. He won $200 of fake money. It is funny to see people go all in and lose real money,” Schumacher said.

“I think it is a great opportunity to improve or learn new math skills, while also being able to play fun games with your friends.”