Mustangs Return to the UNI-Dome

Jack Cochrane carries the ball toward the sideline Friday. The Mustangs beat Williamsburg 42-32. Photo by Emma Klinkhammer.
Mount Vernon's Cale Snedden (7) faces off with Williamsburg's Gavin Ritchie. Mount Vernon moves onto 2A semifinals Nov. 12. Photo by Jessie Brokel.
Mount Vernon’s Cale Snedden (7) faces off with Williamsburg’s Gavin Ritchie. Mount Vernon moves onto 2A semifinals Nov. 12. Photo by Jessie Brokel.
Tristan Wirfs celebrates a touchdown against Williamsburg. The No. 3 Mustangs play No. 4 Union at 7:06 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 12 in the Dome.
Tristan Wirfs celebrates a touchdown against Williamsburg. The No. 3 Mustangs play No. 4 Union at 7:06 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 12 in the Dome.Photo by Jessie Brokel.
Sam Moore runs the ball for the Mustangs Nov. 4. Photo by Emma Klinkhammer.

By Ben McGuire

The football team’s state berth has solidified a fall sports sweep for Mount Vernon. For the second consecutive year the Mustangs have punched their ticket to the UNI-Dome with a 42-32 victory Friday over Williamsburg, and will play in the state tournament once again. Mount Vernon has now qualified for state in both girls and boys cross country (with the boys claiming the championship), volleyball (with the team playing in quarterfinals tomorrow), and now football.

A lot has changed since the Mustangs played in the Dome last year. “We aren’t kids anymore,” said senior lineman Tristan Wirfs. “Last year we were a bunch of sophomores and juniors who had never played in big games like the ones we did at state. But now we’ve been around the block a few times are ready for the big stage, and we’re definitely hungry from last year.”

Senior running back Jack Cochrane has been leader on and off the field all year, and has been a crucial part of Stang’s playoff run. “This team is a tight-knit group, and you know we always just talk about getting better and working hard each day. That’s definitely been a theme this year,” said Cochrane on the team’s work ethic, and what they’ve been doing to avenge last year’s loss in the state title game.

“We may not have been the best team at the beginning of the year, but we’ve come in to work every single day. And now heading into the state tournament, we’re prepared. We’ve done a lot to make sure we that don’t come up short this year, and we’ve really grown as a team by doing so,” said Cochrane; who had 89 yards rushing on 12 carries and a touchdown, along with 45 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns. He also put together an incredible performance on defense with 9.5 tackles and an interception.

Becoming a cohesive unit has been pivotal part of accomplishing their goal: winning the state championship. “Last year was more or less a new coaching staff, we were trying to feel each other out. We were close last year but I feel like we’re more of a family this time around,” said junior lineman John Butz. “This year is a lot different for me personally; last year I played in a few packages on defense, and ended up playing a lot in the Dome. But this year I’m starting on offense and defense essentially, it’s a lot more responsibility. But I’m used to it now and I’m ready to for the big games,” Butz said about his new role and the work that has come along with it.

Mount Vernon was able to outlast Williamsburg in a game that was dominated in time of possession by Williamsburg (31:13) compared to the Mustang’s (15:42). This was due to Mount Vernon’s ability to put together quick scoring drives and get their offense off of the field. This however put a tremendous stress and fatigue on the defense, which caught up to them in the second half.

The Mustangs played Williamsburg two weeks ago on Oct. 21, winning 56-21 to claim the district title. “We got off to a great start; coming into the game we knew that Williamsburg was well coached, and that a lot of things went well for us last time we played them,” said Head Coach Lance Pederson. “We knew it was going to be a lot harder, any time you play a team two weeks after beating them heavily there’s a lot of pressure. Especially if you are expected to win like we were.”

Mount Vernon wasted no time putting points on the board. Senior fullback Sam Moore ran in a 63-yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. Moore finished the game with 215 yards rushing on 21 carries and 2 touchdowns, he also tallied 5 tackles on defense.

While they were able to capture a 10 point victory, the Mustang offense wasn’t firing on all cylinders as usual. “We were clicking on offense to start the game but didn’t do as well as we usually do,” said Junior quarterback Drew Adams. “We had to really play as a team and grind this one out at the end to get the victory.” Adams went 11-16 on his pass attempts for 98 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Mount Vernon lead 28-20 at the half, and were up 35-20 after the third quarter. But the Raiders came charging back in the fourth scoring two straight touchdowns making it a 3 point game, leaving the score 35-32 (missed both PAT’s) with 7:05 left remaining in the game. All signs were leading to comeback victory, until MV’s All-American made his presence known. The Mustang’s exhausted defense was able to force a three and out leaving Williamsburg to punt with 3:55 left. Wirfs (6 foot, five inches and 310 pounds) overpowered his blocker and blocked the punt; chased it down, and scooped up for a touchdown.

The Raider’s following drive was cut short after Jack Cochrane intercepted Gage Blythe’s pass to seal the victory and send Mount Vernon back to UNI-Dome. Final score: Mount Vernon Mustangs 42 – Williamsburg Raiders 32.

It’s official. Get your tickets, arrange your carpools, find the kids a babysitter, and get ready. The Mustangs have a date with Union, Laporte City (10-1) this Saturday and they don’t plan on missing.