Solon Keeps Winning Streak Alive

By Bailey Priborsky

Dressed in Hawaiian attire, the Mount Vernon student section reacts to Solon's interception in the fourth quarter. Photo by Paige Zaruba.
Dressed in Hawaiian attire, the Mount Vernon student section reacts to Solon’s interception in the fourth quarter. Photo by Paige Zaruba.

Button up Hawaiian shirts, sloppily applied sunscreen and floppy bucket hats were the attire for the night as Mount Vernon students traveled to Solon Aug. 26 for the toughest rivalry game of the season. In the stadium the tension between schools was palpable, the stomping and shouts of elated students echoed across the field as the game began. The bleachers creaked with excitement. Although the Mustangs put up a strong fight, the Spartans won 26-21.

Wide Receiver Cale Snedden, a junior, runs the ball. Snedden scored the first Mustang TD of the game on a pass by Drew Adams. Photo by Emma Klinkhammer.

Solon was able to pull ahead in the first quarter. Cale Snedden scored the first touchdown for the Mustangs on a pass from quarterback Drew Adams, making the halftime score 20-6. Then the Spartans began the second half with a 83-yard kickoff return. Yet both the team and the community refused to give up on the game. Cochrane scored a touchdown third quarter and Mount Vernon had a successful 2-point conversion. The Mustangs comeback closed the Spartans lead to a mere five points in the third quarter with a touchdown made by senior Sam Moore.

The stadium ignited when a perfect spiral was thrown down field and received by senior Jack Cochrane. The incredible touchdown would have won the game if a referee had not flagged the play. In the last five minutes the Mustangs made the Spartans fight for the win, forcing a turnover after the fourth down.

Another opportunity to make the winning touchdown presented itself when Mount Vernon got possession of the ball, but a pass from quarterback Drew Adams to Jack Cochrane was intercepted by a Spartan player in the last 30 seconds of the game. The Spartan’s bleachers roared in excitement, sealing the win for Solon. Yet Mount Vernon stayed proud of their home team, knowing that our future season is brighter than the stadium lights.

Although we did not break Solon’s 14-year winning streak, spirits were still high as the game came to an end. Hands were shaken and jokes were made but the road back to the Dome is still clear and Mount Vernon is still making their way to the top.

Coach Haddy leads the rush onto Solon's field Aug. 26. Photo by Emma Klinkhammer.
Coach Haddy leads the rush onto Solon’s field Aug. 26. Photo by Emma Klinkhammer.
Seniors Bailey Rud and Bailey Priborsky lead the crowd to cheer for the 'Stangs. Photo by Emma Klinkhammer.
Senior Bailey Rud and Bailey Priborsky lead the crowd to cheer for the ‘Stangs. Photo by Emma Klinkhammer.
Mustang fans kick off season with beach night at Solon. Mustangs comeback falls short with a final score of 26-21. Photo by Brian Harris.