2010 Centaur wins award

The 2010 Centaur

The 2010 Centaur, the Mount Vernon High School Yearbook, has won third place in the class A division of the Iowa High School Press Association Fall Yearbook Contest. In addition, the 2010 Centaur yearbook staff won 23 individual awards. Robert Sheehy won five awards: 1st place academics photo, 1st place organizations/performance photo, 3rd place organizations/performance design, 3rd place feature presentation, and typography honorable mention. Jacob Holland won four awards: 1st place student life design, and 2nd place in environmental portrait, and second and third places for infographics. Taylor Hauser won three awards: 2nd place sports design, and honorable mention for infographic and student life design. Brittany Schorg placed second in opening spread and received an honorable mention for organizations/performance writing. Hannah Goldsmith received 3rd place in sports writing and honorable mention for a sports action photo. Goldsmith, Schorg, and Meaghan Muller won2nd place for their theme concept “True Life.” Christa Winders earned 1st place in academics writing and third place in academics design. Chelsie Minor tied for 2nd in sports design, and Sarah Ryan won 2nd place feature writing. Micheala Tritle earned 2nd place for student life design. First place in the small school division went to Exira High School, and second place was awarded to Hudson High School. North Mahaska High School won honorable mention. In class B (mid-sized schools) 1st place was Benton HS, 2nd place was Fort Madison HS, 3rd place went to Pella HS, and Central DeWitt and Clear Creek Amana both won honorable mentions. In the large school division, Class C, 1st place went to Iowa City West HS, 2nd place went to Johnston HS, 3rd place went to SE Polk HS, and Jefferson HS received an honorable mention.