Roudabush Honored for Making World a Better Place

Girl Scouts of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois has selected Mallory Roudabush as their 2016 Prudential Spirit of Community Local Honoree for her efforts to make the world a better place. The Prudential Spirit of Community award is given annually to students making a difference through volunteering.

Mallory Roudabush
Mallory Roudabush
As the United States’ largest youth recognition program based exclusively on volunteer community service, the program was created in 1995 by Prudential in partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) to honor students for outstanding service to others at the local, state, and national level.

The program’s goals are to applaud young people who already are making a positive difference in their towns and neighborhoods, and to inspire others to think about how they might contribute to their communities. Over the past 20 years, more than 115,000 young people have been officially recognized for their volunteer efforts.

GSEIWI considered Mallory’s leadership displayed in earning all three Girl Scout High Awards. Mallory’s Bronze Award project created kits of supplies for the Iowa Kids Net program to distribute to children in foster care. Handicap accessibility for a sister scout and awareness was the focus of her Silver Award. Her Gold Award effort improved the landscaping in front of the Mt Vernon High school and added a stone walkway for students moving between the middle and high school buildings.

In addition, Mallory has volunteered at Washington Elementary to assist teachers, used her baking skills to donate to charity events, and assisted the state board at the State of Iowa Academic Decathlon tournament. She is currently serving a one year elected term as a Girl Member on the GSEIWI Board of Directors.

The daughter of Eric and Virginia Roudabush of Mt Vernon, Mallory, 17, is a MVHS Junior.

Mallory is now being considered for Prudential Spirit of Community State Honoree and Distinguished Finalists recognition, to be announced in February. The 102 State Honorees will be recognized in Washington DC in May 2016.