Mount Vernon Proceeds To Quarterfinals

Players huddle around Coach Pedersen during playoffs on Oct 2
Players huddle around their coach during playoffs on Oct 2

Mount Vernon and Central Lee face off during 2A playoff rounds on Oct 2

By Maggie Rechkemmer

The Mount Vernon Mustangs competed in their second playoff game on Monday, November 2 at Donnellson against the Central Lee Hawks. The game started off quickly with Central Lee’s Ethan Barnett running the ball into the end zone for a touchdown. The kick by Justin Wright is good. Score is now 7-0, Central Lee. Five minutes later Central Lee’s Ben Rooney runs the ball 83 yards for a touchdown. The kick by Wright is good. Central Lee is ahead 14-0 with three and a half minutes left in the quarter and it seems that Mount Vernon’s season is about to be over.

At the beginning of the second quarter Central Lee’s, Garrett Holtkamp hooks up with Rooney for a 28 yard gain on the play. Touchdown Central Lee. Wright’s kick is good, and the score is now 21-0, Central Lee. Three minutes later on the next series of downs Drew Adams finds Connor Herrmann for an 11 yard gain on the play. Touchdown Mustangs! Kick by Carlos Castro is good for the extra point. Mustangs are now on the board with Central Lee ahead (21-7). Holtkamp from Central Lee runs the ball 10 yards with two minutes left in the half. Touchdown Hawks. Wright’s kick is good and score is now 28-7, Hawks.

Heading into the third quarter the Mustangs stay positive and dominate the second half. Jack Cochrane runs the ball 4 yards into the endzone for a touchdown. Castro’s kick is good and the score is now 14-28, Central Lee. Mount Vernon continues to take over the ball when Cochrane runs the ball 3 yards, into the endzone. Touchdown Mount Vernon! Castro’s kick is good. The Mustangs are making a comeback with 4 minutes left in the third and a score of 21-28.

Five seconds into the fourth quarter Jack Cochrane runs the ball 5 yards into the endzone for yet another touchdown. Castro’s kick ties the score (28-28) with his extra point. The Mustangs continue to make a comeback with five and a half minutes left in the game Cochrane takes the ball 1 yard to the end zone. Castro’s kick is good, and the Mustangs are officially ahead 35-28. With only two minutes remaining in the game Cochrane sprints the ball 12 yards to the end zone. Touchdown Mustangs! Castro’s kick is no good, and the final score of the game is 41-28, Mount Vernon. Tears are shed as the team celebrates in the center of the field.

The Mustangs will advance on to the 3rd round of playoffs, playing Anamosa at Anamosa on Friday Nov. 5. The game starts at 7:00 pm. Make the short drive and support the Mustangs!

Celebrations follow Mount Vernon's win against Central Lee on Nov 2
Celebrations follow Mount Vernon’s win against Central Lee on Nov 2
The Mount Vernon offensive line awaits the snap of the ball.